Being Allergy Aware – Types of Common Allergies and How to Prevent Them
Allergies can strike at any time, every season has its own allergens and even the most common of items, including food and drugs, can lead to you experiencing allergies.
Managing your exposure to these types of allergens is important, not only can they ruin your day, but they can stop you from enjoying certain.
In this blog, we will breakdown the types of common allergens the steps you can take to manage them effectively – making you more allergy aware.
Types of allergies
Allergies come in many different forms; identifying them is the first step in preventing them and their symptoms.
The most common causes of allergies include:
- Dust mite allergies – found in household dust, they are easily controlled with regular hoovering and cleaning of soft items and carpets.
- Pet-based allergies – Cats and dogs are the biggest causes of allergies, keep them well-groomed and cleaned to limit allergy spreading.
- Mould-based allergies – Mould spores are common in damp areas of the house, keep your house well ventilated and dry to avoid the growth of mould.
- Food-based allergies – Certain ingredients in food can lead to allergies, be sure to read the ingredients list before eating or ask your waiter if the food you wish to order contains those ingredients.
- Hay fever – the most common form of allergy caused by released pollen into the air in spring and summer, be sure to check weather forecasts to see if the pollen count is high, you may want to stay at home to avoid symptoms starting if it is coloured amber or red.
- Insect stings and bites – bites and stings from common insects can also cause allergies; if you have to travel outside, you may want to cover up exposed skin and apply insect repellent if you’ll be travelling to a remote area with lots of foliage.
Treatments for allergies
Medications are the best way to relieve symptoms by boosting the body’s immune system, many of these medicines and allergy-relieve tablets can be bought over the counter or as part of a repeat prescription.
Antihistamines are the most common form of relief for symptoms of allergies, including hay fever, insect bites and stings, hives (rash on the skin) and conjunctivitis (eye inflammation or swelling).
Prevention of allergies and top tips
If you take the time to prevent your allergies, then you will not experience the annoying symptoms.
We have some quick prevention methods to help you manage your allergies effectively:
- Wear a mask to avoid the spread of pollen
- Keep areas of your home clean and hoovered, especially if you have pets or dust
- Take an antihistamine before leaving the house or interacting with common allergens
- Give nasal sprays a try; they can provide instant relief before, during and after seasonal allergies
- Keep your house at a comfortable temperature and dry humidity
- Think about moving your carpet away from the living room, hardwood floors and tiles which won’t trap dust
By using the tips and advice in this blog, you should have a better understanding of different types of allergies and how to prevent them. If you would like some more information or have a question for us, please don’t hesitate to leave us a comment.